No Obligation

Free Consultation 770.635.0334

  • Have You Been Injured In a Slip and Fall Accident?

    Written on July 24, 2014

    We have all seen those yellow “wet floor” signs in grocery stores and other businesses. Most people know to steer clear of that area. However, not every spill, or potential hazard, has a bright sign that warns patrons to stay away. Anywhere from the parking lot to the restrooms may present a dangerous situation.

    If you are injured at a business, whether it is a “slip and fall,” or other type of accident, there are some important things you need to do that will protect you down the road. Even if you don’t think you are hurt, be sure an employee or manager from the business documents the incident. Most companies have some sort of form designed to document such accidents. If a representative from the business is unwilling to document what happened to you, do it yourself with as many details as you can.

    It’s a good idea to write down what happened, where, the time, who you spoke to from the business and what caused the accident. If you have your cell phone or a camera with you, take pictures of the immediate area. If a representative from the store tells you that you aren’t allowed to take pictures, document that as well. All of this will be valuable information to have when you attempt to recoup any medical costs or potential damages.

    If you are hurt, seek medical attention immediately. Don’t wait to see if you “feel better” in a few days. If at all possible, visit your physician or an emergency room that day. Be sure to keep meticulous records of any doctor appointments you have, any sort of co-pay and what your mileage is, when traveling to and from the doctor’s office or hospital. The next step is contacting an attorney.

    The owner of the company where the accident occurred may call you, or a representative from the corporate office. Someone from an insurance company may also try to reach you. You must remember that they are calling to represent their company, not you. It is important to consult with your personal injury attorney before attempting to recover any money, or even speaking with someone from the company. That isn’t something you want to do yourself. The personal injury attorney that you contact regarding the case, will be on your side and will negotiate in your best interest.

    There are several ways you could be compensated for an injury sustained at a business. First on that list is recovering your medical costs. That’s why seeing a doctor, and keeping careful records is so important. That is information your attorney will need. You may also be reimbursed for mileage and any working hours missed while recuperating or having follow-up medical visits. You may also be awarded damages for any pain and suffering you have as a result of the accident.

    Compensation beyond medical and work reimbursement can be a little tricky. Punitive damages are additional monies awarded in injury cases designed to protect individuals against “willful misconduct.” Punitive damages are reserved for instances that go beyond a simple mistake. There must be provable gross negligence on the part of the defendant.

    If you have been injured in a store, or other commercial property, contact the attorneys at The Silverbach Group without delay and they will ensure that you are treated fairly. Our attorneys can negotiate a settlement on your behalf. You can reach us at 770-635-0334.